Friday, July 19, 2013

Sincerity-O-Meter

The problem with posting things publicly is that people read them. Sometimes, even your wife reads them. And she asks awkward questions, like, "how close, exactly, did you come to killing our child?" or "why are you trying to ruin this for me?"

All valid questions.

But, the thing is, as a dude, I just say stupid things sometimes. The things that pop into my head. The things that prevent me from getting raises or promotions (what does that even look like in my field?). But, as Paul Romer famously said, "a crisis is a terrible thing to waste."

Enter, the Sincerity-O-Meter:

Don't get used to seeing a "full" Sincerity-O-Meter.


I'm sure you have a few questions. So I'll do a quick Q and A while my wife finishes nursing the lad.

Q: Why is it called the "Sincerity-O-Meter." Wouldn't the word "Sincere" fit better?
A: All of my favorite meters use nouns before the suffix. Chronometer, odometer, speedometer (not to be confused with the elusive "speedo-o-meter"), pedometer... etc. So, even though "sincere" sounds and fits better, I'm sticking with the noun form of the word.
Q: Does it need the "O?"
A: I'm not exactly sure. It's just "there" with chronometer. I guess I really wanted to stress that this is a long vowel?
Q: How did you choose the colors?
A: Hot to cold? This is a silly question.
Q: Will you always post a visual measurement of how sincere a post is? Where can I look for it when I'm reading something that sounds too strange to be heart-felt?
A:  I'll post it when and where it communicates my intentions best. If I want you to know that I'm totally serious before reading my "writing," I'll post it at the top. Maybe I'll stick a few in throughout? Maybe I'll forget to post one at all, and you'll be unsure. This is a cold, dark universe we live in (note that important comma between cold and dark), and you need to learn to cope. Pronto.
Any more questions? Post 'em in the comments below.
Thanks,
The Management 

2 comments:

  1. Alright, I see what's going on here - plausible deniability, yadda yadda.

    But don't you dare back off from the 'I'm-a-barely-restrained-vat-of-conflicted-rage/love' that you communicated so eloquently in your last post. Moms get to write about nursing and I don't know, hormones probably? - we get to write about heroic feats of non-murder and incur the psych evals that follow.

    ReplyDelete